Home

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Beef Asado (Family Recipe)

This recipe was hand down to me by my Nanang Osang + (a spinster grandaunt).  She taught me how to cook this way back when I was still in the elementary school.  She's one strict lady who really loved food to the max level!

In this dish however I had to use things that are available in my kitchen.  I cannot find calamansi or calamunding here in Australia so I had to use the juice of one lemon + vinegar.  Use your taste buds in balancing the taste closer to the taste of the soy sauce - calamansi mixture.  I had discovered that if you mix lemon and vinegar and then add them to the soy sauce the taste would be good.
Our original recipe also uses chicken breast (white meat part) and the legs.  The meat, potatoes and carrots are not cut too.  They are only sliced after they are cooked. The sauce will also be poured onto the serving plate.  I could have done the original way but having two little toddlers around me wouldn't give me much time so for the purpose of cutting back time, I did it the short cut way.

Ingredients
1/2 k beef round, cut into pieces
1 large potato, quartered
1 large carrot, cut into pieces
1 large onions, minced
5 medium onions, whole
1 tin tomato sauce or 4 tbsp tomato paste dissolved in 6 tbsp water
1 tbsp garlic, minced 
1 red capcicum, sliced diagonally
1/4 c soy sauce (I used marca pina)
juice of one lemon
2 tbsp  white vinegar

Procedure
Marinate beef, potatoes, carrots,  and medium whol onions in the soy sauce - vinegar - lemon mixture for at least 15 minutes.
Fry the potatoes and carrots first before the beef to avoid the pan having too much fat.  Fry just until about cooked.
Remove from pan and drain excess oil.
In another pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil from the the other frying pan.  Sautee onions and garlic.
Put in the meat, carrots, onions and potatoes.
Pour in the marinade mixture.  Add half a cup of water.  Boil until meat is tender.  You can always add a bit of water if you want but just make sure that you do not over dillute it.
Pour in the tomato sauce or paste - water mixture onto the pan.  Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve hot.

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!