Home

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mini Apple Apricot Turnovers w/ Creamcheese Pastry

I was reading an article about doughs and one thing caught my eye - using creamcheese in your dough!  I quickly checked if I still have creamcheese in the fridge which I usually use for frosting carrot cake and I still got some!

So I have used the last of my creamcheese and the last of my butter for this recipe but hey it's all worth it!  The dough was really great that I've almost ate the unbaked dough hehehe! 

I was not wrong when thinking that this would be a fantastic version of turnovers.  I decided to add the tin apricots too (I really do not want tins to stay long in the pantry and use them just before the expiration dates come).  The taste of each mini turnover is really wow!  I'm pretty sure that my hubby would say the same.  It just melts in your mouth and you can really taste the creamcheese in the pastry.  The filling is quite yummy as well.  Hmm maybe next time I would add jackfruit and banana?  Can't wait!

Ingredients
Creamcheese Pastry
225 g creamcheese
200 butter, softened
2 c plain flour
2 tbsp, cold water
1 egg yolk

Filling
6 c thinly sliced apples
1 tin apricot
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c caster sugar

Procedure
Creamcheese Pastry
Beat the creamcheese until it is smooth and pluffy.  To make this easy try using the Kraft spreadable creamcheese. 
Add in the softened butter and continue beating.
Mix in the egg yolk.
Add in the flour little by little.
Add in the cold water.
Mix well.
Form a ball of dough and cover with clingwrap and refrigerate for 1 - 1 1/2 hour. 

Filling
Peel, decore and slice the apples thinly.  If you do not have a multi - slicer, just use the peeler to slice the apples thinly.
Slice the apricots thinly.
Put apricots and apples in a saucepan.
Mix in the sugar and cinnamon.
Pour 1/4 of the apricot juice onto the mixture.
Cook the fruits until tender and the juice has evaporated a bit.

Assembly
You can either follow the empanada dough style of wrapping or the simple way I did with this recipe.
Roll out the dough in a lightly floured surface or baking paper.  Make a 4 inch circle ( You should be able to make 16 - 18 pieces).
Place the filling (about 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp) in the center of the circle.  Wet the edges with water and fold making a half a circle shape.
Pinch the edges together from one corner to the other end and seal.
Bake for 15 minutes in a 180C preheated oven.

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!