Home

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Thai Noodle Pinoy Pancit

No birthday would be birthdays if there would be noodles on the table.  I cannot remember a time when there was no pancit on the family table when someone was celebrating his/her birthday in our family.  It is supposed to bring good health and long life to the celebrator according to my parents and other oldies in the family.  I guess this is also true in most Filipino families.  This is just one of the many obvious influences of the Chinese in the Philippine cuisine. 

Normally, I would use bihon or sotanghon noodles in cooking pancit but since I am in another country and we are a bit far from the Asian store I had to use whatever noodles we can get from IGA which is just a short walking distance from our house.  I would also usually use fresh veggies and slice or cut them patiently but since this is my daughter's birthday and I am the only one who would cook for her party, I really need to do a shortcut so I preferred to use the frozen mixed veggies. 

Even if I did a little bit of change with the ingredients the pancit still taste the same.  I guess that usually happens when you're so used to cooking the same dish for a loooooonng looooooongg time.

Ingredients
600 g flat noodles (pad thai noodles)
1/2 k pork, cubed
200 g mixed veggies (frozen mixed veggies ---carrots, beans, brocolli, cauliflowers)
100 g cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, minced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1/4 c spring onions, chopped
1 tbsp parsley
1/4 c soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp maggi savour
1 chicken broth cube dissolved in 1/4 c warm water (or shrimp flavor)
1 magic sarap
1 c water (add more if you want to dillute the salty taste)
pepper to taste

Procedure
Fry the pork until just cooked.
Add in the onions and garlic and stir.  Cook until onions are transparent.
Add in the veggies.
Put in the sauces, and the rest of the ingredients except noodles.
Remove the veggies when already cooked (make sure that they are not overcooked)
Set aside.
Put in the noodles onto the pan.  If there's not enough sauce, add a bit of water and do a taste - test and add a bit of the sauces if it becomes too bland for your taste.
Place the noodles in a big serving dish and put the veggies on top.
Serve with lemon or calamansi.

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!