Home

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Adobong Mani (peanuts)

Peanuts are used to be considered as wild plant as they grew back then without intervention from the farmers until they were believed to be domesticated in Paraguay or Bolivia.  Peanuts were even depicted in arts in pre-columbian era of which the oldest found by archaelogist was in Peru which dated back 7,600 years ago.  Its' cultivation started when the Spanish conquistadores occupied the Southern Americas and noticed the saleabillity of peanuts in the Market.  Later on, peanuts cultivation spread all over the world because of the Europeans traders.  It is also interesting to note too that peanuts originally came to Indonesia from the Philippines, where the legume came from Mexico in times of Spanish colonization. This happened during probably the time of the Galleon Trade where the route for the galleon would be Manila to Acapulco, Mexico.

Peanuts are good anti-oxidant, an excellent source of vitamin E and niacin etc.  For more info click peanuts.

When I was still in school, I remember I would always eat peanuts while reviewing for the tests the next day.  They're supposed to help you memorised things.  Whether it's true or not, I just followed it ;)  I guess it did work with me.  You see peanuts is rich in Vitamin B Folate and E as I have mentioned before, and these vitamins are memory boosters.

We would always buy adobong mani from the store near the church at the town center.  I think the name of the store is Amiels' and it is still selling peanuts and other nuts.  I'm not sure when did this store started their business, all I can remember is that I have been buying adobong mani from them since my high school days and that was in the 80s!  They must be doing really good then.

Here is a very simple recipe which I made based from observing and tasting adobong peanuts ;)

Ingredients
500 g peanuts with skin on
lots of toasted garlic
salt to taste
chili flakes
oil

Procedure
Slice garlic thinly.  Toast until a bit brown.
Toast the peanuts before adding the oil.  This makes them more crunchy.
Add a bit of oil just enough to put grease on the peanuts.
Add in the salt, garlic and chili flakes.
Store in a tight lid container
A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!