Home

Friday, February 17, 2012

Sushi Rolls

I suddenly craved for sushi rolls or califonia maki when I saw the Nori Seaweed and wasabi at IGA.  When we got home I told my husband maybe I'll make some sushi rolls.  That would mean he had to go back and buy arborio rice and mangoes! 

I still have my crab meat in the freezer and rice wine vinegar in my pantry so that wouldn't be a problem anymore.  Making sushi rolls is not really that difficult.  I think it's the easiest dish I made so far.  Compared to the ready to eat ones that you can buy, I still prefer to make my own.  Here in Australia, there are a few of  fast food/resto that got fined because of contaminated sushi rolls.  So I would really opt to cook sushi rolls myself.

Makizushi are sushi rolls. Sushi rice and various ingredients are rolled in nori (dried seaweed) as maki means rolling in Japanese. Since makizushi are wrapped by nori, they are also called nori-maki. There are many kinds of sushi rolls. Popular sushi rolls in Japan are tekka-maki (tuna sashimi rolls), kappa-maki (cucumber rolls), and more. Makizushi are good finger food.
Ingredients:1 C arborio rice
1 1/2 C water
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C crab meat (sticks)
1/2 C mango, sliced lengthwise
1/4 C soy sauce
1 tsp wasabi
3 pcs nori seaweed

Procedure:
  1. Use the rice cooker for the rice.
  2. Add a little of salt to the beaten egg and fry.  Shred after.
  3. Mix rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl.  Make sure that sugar is completely dissolved.
  4. Mix the rice vinegar mixture with the rice thoroughly.
  5. Put the nori seaweed in the preheated oven (150C) for 2 minutes.
  6. Make sure that your hands are wet when you place the nori seaweed in the bamboo roller (shiny side facing the roller). 
  7. Divide rice into 3.  Place each 1/3 amount of rice into the seaweed making sure that the rice sticks together.  Pat the rice.  Arrange the crab meat, egg and mangoes in the middle of the rice.
  8. Roll the sushi making sure that it's tight and compact. 
  9. Slice the rolls into 6. 
  10. Mix the soy sauce and wasabi for the dip.
  11. Serve.
Note:  If you do not have sushi bamboo roller, you can use foil and follow what you usually do with embutido.  You can replace the meat and fruits....be adventurous.  It would be best to eat the sushi rolls within 2 days. 

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!