Home

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Spinach Fetuccini w/ Meatballs & Bolognese Sauce

I still have half of the uncooked spinach fetuccini from the last time I cooked a pasta.  This time I decided to use it for a meatball - bolognese sauce pasta. 

Normally, it is better to make your own chunky tomato sauce instead of using the ones in the tin but I did not have much time to spare this time so I decided to just use the one in tin.

One more thing that I have changed in the recipe is the all spice ingredient.  Since I do not have it, I used the mixed herbs instead.  The zuchinni is really yummy in a bolognese sauce, it adds a little bit of sweet taste to it.  I also did not add much red wine on it since I am not really a big fan of this type of wine.  I only added half a cup just to give a bit kick to it.  I used the dried basil instead of the fresh one since it's what's available in my pantry but if you want fresh ones, might be better.  Only remember one thing though, if you decide to use dried herbs instead of the fresh ones, make sure that you lessen a third of the original amount that you will be adding to the dish since dried ones are more concentrated.

Ingredients
meatballs or 500 g beef minced
1 onion, minced
1 tbsp garlic,minced
425g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
2 tbsp mixed spice
1/2 c red wine
1/3 c fresh basil, chopped ( I used the dried ones)

Procedure
Sautee onions and garlic.  Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, zucchini, mixed spice and wine.
Put in salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Put in the meatballs.
Reduce heat and simmer until the fresh tomatoes are soft and the the sauce becomes thick.
Put in the basil and simmer for a few minutes.

Spinach Fetuccini
500 g
Cook according to packet instruction.

Serve with parmesan cheese on top.

Note: If you are using the dried basil, add 1/4 c or a bit less.

 A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!