Home

Friday, February 3, 2012

Nilugawang Manok


I remember lugaw being the most cooked food in my old home before. When someone gets sick, a mother gives birth, someone died, or it's cold and raining, you can be sure that lugaw would always be present. If my tatay would not be able to cook one, he would go to the talipapa or bayan to buy us lugaw (but of course, I would still prefer that he be the one to cook this for us). 

This has also become a good moneymaking business by enterprising people.   The term "Tubong Lugaw" literaly means big profits out of small capital. Just imagine how much water would they pour into that giant pot. Amazingly this does not affect the taste of the lugaw (based from my experience in eating lugaw at the palengke's karinderya).


My nanay and I have different ways of cooking lugaw. I don't know which one tastes better but since she's my mother, I would probably say hers is better lugaw (though I know mine is better hahahah).

Nilugawang Manok (my version)

Ingredients
8 pcs chicken wings
1 C glutinous rice
2 L water
2 pcs knorr or maggie chicken cubes
1 pc medium size onions, diced
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1/4 C spring onions, minced
fish sauce or patis
pepper
eggs (optional) boiled

Procedure:
  • Boil the chicken wings in the 2 L of water with 1 pc of chicken boullion cube until the meat becomes tender. Set aside the chicken broth. Put the chicken wings in a bowl and remove the bones. Marinate with fish sauce for 15 minutes.
  • Sautee onions, garlic, spring onions in a big wok. Add chicken wings. Pour the chicken broth. Add the other chicken broth cube. Add the glutinous rice and stir continuously. You can add more water if you want. Remove from fire when the glutinous rice is cooked.
  • Serve in a bowl. Put eggs, spring roll and pepper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!